Friday, October 30, 2009

FRIDAY-Dinner at La Marlotte

Best restaurant yet. Very friendly service and they patiently let me stumble around in French with them.

The appetizer for Jeri was an artichoke salad with beets. She wasn't thrilled with it, and it was just ok, to me too.

Mine was very thinly shaved French country ham (dry cured ham, like a prosciutto). I will try to describe the awesomeness. If ham and bacon had crazy monkey sex and produced a child, it would be this ham. The rind of fat on it turned into this thick, gelatinous goo in your mouth that was the very essense of pork. Amazing.

The main entree for two we shared was a cote d'boeuf (big hunk of beef from the rib area). The best I could tell it was seasoned with only salt and pepper and cooked to a perfect medium rareness. It was one of those rare restaurant dishes I come across where I think "i don't think I could do this." It was treated with such respect and artistry, it raised the bar for beef from anywhere for me.

The outside seasoning, simple though it was, retained some ghost of itself throughout the meat, probably remaining on our palates for sometime. And it was so perfectly prepared. I've given up entirely ordering beef in restaurants because no one knows how to make a decent steak, anywhere. (Don't bother posting a comment on who's got good steak, i won't believe you. Yes, i'm a turd that way-deal.) I nearly cried it was so good. Oh, and there were potatoes too.

Dessert was a lovely molten chocolate cake with fantastic vanilla ice cream and a coffee sauce. The cake was well executed, but lacked the salt an American palate likes in sweets (yup, i salted it. Way yummy then.) All in all, a fanastic meal and evening.

I can't stop thinking about the beef. Dear god it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment