Friday, October 30, 2009

FRIDAY-Eiffel Tower

First off, the tower's brown, not black. A light chocolate brown actually. I'd always thought it was black.

I couldn't really appreciate the tower's height from the ground. Frankly, as we approached, I thought to myself, "Yup, that's the Eiffel Tower. The same one I've seen in pictures and other cheesy representations my whole life." Truth be told, in my mind the damn thing was seriously packed with frommage.

The base of the tower was peppered with vendors selling keychains, plastic light-up towers, toys of all sorts, and junk, and a few pan-handlers. The base was also crawling with tourists from all over, not just the US. This time of year there aren't very many US people to be found actually. The lines for lifts seemed huge. The base of the tower was also freaking enormous.


It wasn't until we started sating our growling tummies with a fantastic ham and gruyere on a baguette that I looked up and suddenly became aware of the enormity of this thing. The Eiffel Tower was fricken huge.
But was it this magical thing, place, experience that so many people seem to wax romantic about? Sure didn't seem that way. Between the lines and the incessant sales pitches for knick-knacks, I wasn't so sure it was even worth the trip across town to see it. Sure, feat of engineering for it's time, etc., but sheesh. This looked like a giant pain in the ass for the pleasure of going up in one of the most done-to-death icons in the western world.
Nevermind that; we were in Paris, and by god, we needed to go up and all the way to the top. If we came home without even going in the Eiffel Tower, some people might think we were nuts. Into line we went.
With the off season we were through in less than 40 minutes and on our way up. There was a transfer to the final lift that took us to the top. The ground dropped away from us and seemed like it would never stop. Vertigo baby. And then we were there. Through the doors, up a short flight of stairs and we were in the open air above Paris.

Dusk had fallen while we waited in line and took the lifts to the top. Approaching the edge, a thin fog had crept in across the city making the lights of the city below glow with a fairy tale halo. There was the Arc d'Triumph and the Seine and the lit winding streets of one of the oldest cities on the planet. I forgot to breathe.

We both stood, overcome with the beauty of the city of lights below and all around us. As Jeri squeezed my arm tight and kissed me, it was clear that this was indeed a magical place that we would remember visiting for the rest of our lives. I can't imagine a city view that could compare with Paris at dusk from the top of the Eiffel Tower.

It was Jeri's birthday today too. It was somewhat arranged and somewhat happy accident that we took our trip to fit her birthday in Paris. Jeri had said this was her birthday present.
As we raised a glass of champagne to toast her special day, I reached into my pocket and took out a diamond rimmed watch I'd gotten her for her birthday a few weeks ago and hid to bring on the trip. She was pleased and touched, and I think this was a good birthday for her.

Later, back on the ground we watched the tower's lightshow, a waxing moon behind it, we reflected on what an amazing visit it had been so far. So, if you're in Paris, really do see the Eiffel Tower. You might not feel what we did, but you'll feel something and I bet that feeling will be special.

1 comment: