Monday, November 2, 2009

MONDAY-Lunch

Lunch was at a tiny bistro next to the Sorbonne. To a couple of MAs in the humanities just being next to the Sorbonne was so cool. IT'S THE FREAKIN' SORBONNE. You other liberal arts people will get it.


Jeri got a great looking cheeseburger with fries and I had another French dish I'd longed to try in France: Duck Confit. It's duck that's been cooked and then stored/preserved in duck fat, and reheated when you order it.

Those of you familiar with duck know it's the pork of the poultry world and duck skin is the bacon of the poultry world. It's very thick and the fat under the skin is heavenly... how do I describe... Sort of like if bacon were mixed with butter. It's like that.

This confit was good, but I wish they would have pan-seared the skin a bit for some color and some more flavor. Very very good, but soooo close to being out of this world great. They were content with a B- when they could have had an A+. The potatoes were mealy and watery and unremarkable.
Yes! I'm complaining! I'm in France - it's their patriotic duty to make great food!

No comments:

Post a Comment